Author Topic: Advice Needed for MsWord Function  (Read 472 times)

vernon

• Role: Writer
Advice Needed for MsWord Function
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:06:51 AM »
On occasion I've had reason to correct something in a header which was quite easy to do. However in the process I somehow affected something to do with the page numbering system and the numbers turned out incorrectly. Then in trying to correct them I found that from page 2 onwards all subsequent numbers were 2 and I battled to get the numbers to increase on each page. Page 1 was unaffected as "different 1st page" was selected but I tried "different odd and even pages", going to "page number"/"format page numbers"/"continue from previous section" or "start at" and nothing seemed to help! In the end once I had done all I could, I uploaded the paper as is with a note for someone to please set the numbering right before submitting to the customer  :-[ :'( I would appreciate a response from anyone who knows about this. Thanks.

Penny

Re: Advice Needed for MsWord Function
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:18:53 PM »
Be sure to look at reveal codes so you can see section breaks and check if you have linked or unlinked headers/footers from different sections. If you use double columns, Word will create section breaks before and after that piece and can mess up your page numbers. Also of course, if you make section breaks for front matter page numbering and for APA formate to omit "Running head" on the body pages. Sometimes tables, figures, and so on can cause such problems also. Section breaks are often the culprit, but not seeing your file, hard to tell really. You can google and query MS Word sites for answers also.

vernon

Re: Advice Needed for MsWord Function
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
Thanks, Penny. I only saw this now after using the forum for the 1st time for quite a while and also since I haven't had to deal with the problem lately. I thus looked at the workings of section break and noticed the same page number can appear on a number of pages. I will go into that if I ever have to deal with the problem again.