Author Topic: Editing  (Read 1166 times)

cantona

• Role: Writer
Editing
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:49:56 AM »
Why hire editors to edit a written paper by a writer and then charge a writers in order to pay the editor for merely doing a cosmetic work. This is very unfair and not ethical at all. If these editors are so good why dont they just take the whole order instead of waiting for writers to
seat whole day for the real work then make money out of their hard work through cosmetic modifications. If the company insists on having the editors then the company should pay them from their portion of the payment not from the writer's little portion. >:( :(

Pitchez

Re: Editing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
I completely  agree with you Cantona. Actually, they just use synonyms, interfere with sentence structures, mess with writing styles and formatting to an extent where the paper no longer makes sense, and then charge you for it!!! What is sad is that the papers that are not edited never attract negative feedback from clients as compared to the edited ones. So, what is the editor for? 

cantona

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
I completely  agree with you Cantona. Actually, they just use synonyms, interfere with sentence structures, mess with writing styles and formatting to an extent where the paper no longer makes sense, and then charge you for it!!! What is sad is that the papers that are not edited never attract negative feedback from clients as compared to the edited ones. So, what is the editor for? 

No point at all. what is interesting about it is when an edited paper is brought back for minor revision by client, the writer will make the small change then the revised paper will again be subjected to another editing. The new editor will edit the whole paper once again and correcting the changes that were made by the initial editor, further messing with the paper and charging the writer again. So the writer is responsible for paying two people whom he/she has not hired but doing work for someone else. It is like Coca-Cola hiring an employee and expecting Google to pay the wages of this employee.

admin

• Administrator
  • Role: Staff member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
Dear jess,
Thank you for sharing your concerns.
I understand your reaction as editing services may indeed sometimes raise questions. We welcome you to send a polite message to the Editors Dpt. asking them to clarify the particular case. Their Supervisors will review your inquiry within 1-2 business days.

Currently you are enlisted in the Editing Program since your college level is "College B" (the last date of evaluation: 2017-06-16). All writers with this college level participate in the program. At the same time, you are welcomed to send a message to the Quality Assurance Department in September asking them to reevaluate your skills. If they grant you a higher level, you will get a chance to work without the editing supervision.

We wish you a great day and many interesting papers!

cantona

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:40:19 AM »
Does it mean that only college level Bs are supposed to be in this program?

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »
Dear Cantona,
Thank you for your question.
All academic levels (except University A ,B, Masters and PhD) should participate in this program.

Lee

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:08 AM »
I write at all levels including Masters and Phd. I thought I was the only one who felt that this editing thing is the worst idea ever. During the low season when orders are few and deadlines more flexible, it is possible to write and edit the papers without additional unnecessary editing. The trend has now become an annoyance and rip off. I raised this concern with the editing department the other day. I took one of my recently edited papers and one by one examined each piece of editorial work. Nearly the entire document was unnecessarily edited, with the so called editor ruining my work by inserting unnecessary commas and changing words to their synonyms which in fact made the paper very repetitive by using the same synonyms over and over. There was not a single correction with merit; it was a total  $10 rip off. Some of these editors don't even know what academic writing is all about because of the synonyms they choose. Recently I even had an editor change the word 'children' to 'kids', the most ridiculous editing ever! If the company insists that editors are necessary, the same  company should compensate them for making no changes instead of forcing a writer to bear the costs of such redundancy.

Pitchez

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:27:13 AM »
well put....It is time someone took these complains with all the seriousness they require. The so called editors are making  working here so uncomfortable. Some do not even know the difference between "common knowledge" and "information in public domain" and what plagiarism really is. A big percentage of editing is quite unnecessary but they just do it to claim a bigger percentage from our bids.

Penny

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
I mean no offense and make these comments strictly as a realistic, objective response.

I've never been subject to "editing" so am not familiar with what the process entails or the fees/charges are, but if your writing in these remarks, Cantona, is representative of your usual submissions, then, yes, your work is in dire need of editing. In the few sentences of your original and subsequent posts, numerous glaring errors in mechanics, spelling, and grammar are evident. I would suggest that your complaint would be more credible if, in fact, written in a manner at least fully literate.

Not having seen an original and an edited paper for comparison, I cannot remark on the perceived merits of the editing process, but any client receiving a paper with the types of errors you’ve made herein should rightfully be outraged. The editors’ corrections, in other words, may be more legitimate than you’ve yet recognized, so you may want to re-evaluate and learn going forward.

swawire

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »
I have never understood why, after an order has been edited and placed on revision, it should not be assigned to the earlier editor. You complete an order, the editor assigns himself 20%, the support team places it on revision for whatever reason and you complete it, another editor takes it and assigns himself 20%. If the client places the order on revision, another editor assigns himself a cut of the money. The writer might end up with $3 per page! What makes it worse is that none of these editors has improved the content. Simple, let one editor work on an order from start to the end.

PS: no one is against editing. The process is the issue.   

Pett

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 07:07:54 AM »
I have been passively reading this thread and never really understood what the uproar was about. That changed today when I received a copy of my "edited" paper which I must say is a mockery to all professional writers. The "editor" - I put this in quotes because this is the sloppiest editing I have ever seen - had the audacity to actually use MS Word synonyms to change words here and there to justify their pay. Changing words like decrease to diminish, affects to impacts etc. That's not all, it gets worse.

The "editor" went ahead to change technical terminology such as outputs to ultimate products, less labor to "less amount of labor" (LOL) and some weird changes that are too trivial to describe. The number of words was also required and after "editing", the "editor" did not bother to update this count. What I find hilarious is  the message from the editors department, "This is to inform that your paper was amended by a professional editor, and the final version was forwarded to the customer." A professional editor would be familiar with the jargon. A professional editor would not need to use synonyms. A professional editor would Know that changing a couple of words would change the entire meaning of a sentence. The "editor" did not add any value to the paper and in fact utterly debased its arguments and violated my work.

Is there any need to proofread our work if someone else will just swoop in to "edit" it? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to submit draft copies so that such editors do some actual work?

I propose that customers should be presented with blinded copies both the original and edited paper. If a customer selects the original paper the editor is not compensated. If the customer goes for the edited version then the editor can take their 10% cut. This will go a long way in stymieing the rent-seeking behavior that is apparently rife in the editing program and ultimately the company will get know the writers and editors that are actually good at their job!

I have written to the editing department about my concerns with the order and will update this post on how this issue is addressed.

UPDATE:

The Editors supervisor has since been in touch and thankfully restored my bid. I would encourage writers who find their papers needlessly edited to get in touch with the editing department, it is clear valid cases are resolved without too much hassle. Shoddy editing is one way a competent writer can lose a good number return customers so try your best not to stamp your writer ID on a grossly over-edited wreck of a paper.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:17:22 PM by Pett »
Join the company of lions rather than assume the lead among foxes. ~ The Talmud

cantona

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 04:45:29 AM »
Penny; this is not the forum to identify grammar mistakes in what we post. If you are an editor you can do that elsewhere. Moreover, if this post does not affect you, I would rather you just reserve your comments; I certainly do not need you to tell me that my writing is in dire need of editing. My concern is to air my views about editing and identify the various flaws associated with the exercise because it negatively affects me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:32:13 AM by cantona »

Penny

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »
Anyone who posts basically invites responses, and anyone who cares to respond to a post is entitled to. That's the point of open discussion. If you can only tolerate agreement and support with your views and statements and are unwilling to be sufficiently open minded to perhaps learn for others' perspectives, then you'd best start your own blog somewhere so you can censor anyone not lauding and praising you.

eyan

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
I hope someone from admin is reading these comments. Editing is slowly becoming counterproductive.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
Dear Writers,
Thank you very much for providing us with your insights.

We are currently monitoring the situation and developing all necessary improvements to the process.
Please, do not be afraid to contact our Editors Department.They will be more than happy to review your case and provide their feedback