Author Topic: Registering as a writer  (Read 15203 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Role: Staff member
Registering as a writer
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
Dear friends,

we have been informed that some of you writers that recently started working with us find the registration process at Uvocorp or Academicexperts quite complicated.
We would like to hear back from you. Please, inform us which steps of registration do you find too complicated.
I remind that there are two crucial parts that you undergo during registration process:
- language test
- sample essay writing.

Please, tell us which problems did you run into. Make your response detailed. We appreciate your reply.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:43:49 PM by admin »

michael

• Administrator
Re: Registration at Uvo/Aca
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
I heard from a writer that some questions were weird. Could someone who actually passed that test tell what exactly was wrong or confusing/complicated please?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:03:52 PM by admin »

jamka04

• Role: Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
hi, i have friends of mine who have been complaining constantly to me about the registration process. According to them, the language test is the problem because one never get to learn where he/she went wrong. this means that one can be very good in grammar and still fail the test. i think that the administration should be more strict on the essay part because it is the one which truly test how well a new writer is conversant in different writing styles and how well their grammar  is. To be sincere many people have been frustrated by the process thereby blocking good writers out there. I have not seen the questions yet but one of my pals tells me that, the company must be looking for geniuses and not writers. I think it would be fair if they learn the number of questions they went wrong and may be they will appreciate the registration procedure more.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:18 PM »
thanks a lot for reply.

Bramah

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »
I have had such a nightmare in helping out several people in opening an account.
1: the registration is only one way; if you fail you are blacklisted forever...That shouldn't be the case, coz we end up losing out the best of writers to other online writing organizations.
2: some questions(no example at the moment) are quite ambiguous. The proficiency tests for my case are of extremely high standards. Im sure from the logs, the number of fails are far much more than the passed passes.

My suggestion, make the questions simpler, get more writers and increase the strictness in handling writing related matters such as grammatical errors...

Either way i love working at UVO.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:30:34 PM by admin »

David

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
The grammar test is very tricky and hard, most people that have tried complaining of the complexity especially the part that requires you to select the word that should not be included to make the sentence right.In regard to the essay part,Am not sure of its complexity because I do not know anyone who has passed the grammar test.Can you make it simpler please.

Mwafrika

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
I admit, the language test was a bit tricky, but I guess important for UvoCorp to gauge the credibility of the incoming writers. No "weird" questions for me at such, maybe a bit different from what I am used to.

As regards the Essay test, I guess the countdown timer on the browser (if you leave it open) is not synchronized with the one at the server. Am guessing it is a client browser script that freezes when your browser freezes. If you upload your essay minutes to the deadline, you might be surprised to learn that time has already lapsed.

As regards the automatic plagiarism check when you upload the essay, it is misleading. A properly referenced paper will probably fail the check even if you included properly referenced quotes. The page notification, after you upload the essay, should probably alert the potential writer of "possible plagiarism" and not summarily "accuse" him/her of plagiarism. Not much else that I could think of, that is wrong.

Otherwise, the step-by-step registration process is well explained and a breeze if you have set aside the requisite time and  brushed up on citation formats.

Stephen

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:41:26 AM »
Someone said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I believe there is nothing wrong with the earlier system. Of course, the older one isn't perfect. However, the new one isn't better. Nurturing will be the more decisive rather than passing the registration process.

Bramah

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
I support your comments Stephen.
Why not reintroduce the former system and give a chance to all who failed in the current system.

We then can work on nurturing the new writers to attain the potential and capability of their seniors. This can be done through a mentor-ship program in which new writers can be attached to senior writers for their first ten papers and thereafter they can work on their essays independently.

I'm sure most of us (Old writers) are very willing to mentor one or two other writers to fit into our shoes, Aren't we?

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
I doubt we will cancel grammar test, but i would like to change it.
For example stop the system from baning ips of applicants that failed the test.
All comments are important, at the moment we are discussing what can be done to simplify the test.

Ann

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »
I personally think it is interesting that you are having complaints about the registration process.  As a native American English speaker, I found the grammar section to be simple.  The questions were actually easy - just to pick the correct word to finish the sentence such as "the boy ____ to the store."  choices being run, ran, talked. The test probably should have questions about grammar such as correct comma usage in compound sentences, identifying run-on sentences, and comma usage with prepositional phrases. Maybe people are expecting more questions about actual grammar than word choice.

I have no complaints about the registration system.  You want to make sure that the best writers are being hired, so this type of test should be mandatory so that customers don't continue having complaints with the quality of work they are receiving from the writers.

Stephen

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »
One type of nurturing strategies that can be implemented is to have the following writing kits:
1. Essay-writing strategies (how to write an essay)
2. Thesis/Dissertation writing guidelines
My recollection is that we don't have the two kits above in this homepage (I will re-check this point). Of course, it doesn't mean we are unable to write on the two but the availability of the guidelines can help polish or hone our writing skills. Thus, my suggestion is for management of www.academicexperts.us to seriously consider my suggestion.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
Stephen, do you mean you would like to see such topics at the forum as well?

Stephen

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 10:08:34 AM »
Hi! This is actually the one and only forum I have joined (I may have joined other fora but never bothered to really participate). So I am not yet really comfortable yet. Re admin jr. question, i have 2 replies: 1) we must have kits (I think there on styles but none on essay writing and dissertations); 2) sharing of experiences are fine but I suppose not many would be writing on the topic INITIALLY. Tnx so much!

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
I will be gradually updating the forum and by the end of August (or maybe earlier) all the topics like writing essentials etc. will be filled.
Will also try to include as much info on dissertation writing etc. as I can.
If someone knows good sources that explain and give tips about writing feel free to send us links to writer.support emails.
Please do not post them here though.