Author Topic: Dispute resolution  (Read 2390 times)

Aestivus

• Role: Writer
Dispute resolution
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
 Today, I got a resolution over a dispute (order #83000585). I received a message that went like this:

This is to inform you that unfortunately the customer was not satisfied with the quality of the paper.  This order will have to be partially refunded.

This is the second time that I have to take a cut on my compensation in order to refund a disputed order. The question of whether the paper was good enough or not seems to be irrelevant. The dispute department, judging from the quote above, seems to think that every time a customer has a grudge and is ready to take it far enough, he or she is to be rewarded with a refund for his trouble.

What about my trouble, though?

This is not company policy, it is moral hazard.

Gabriel

• Dispute manager
  • Role: Staff member
Re: Dispute resolution
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:22:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest we are newer likely to side with one side more than the other.

I resolve disputes daily and on many occasions I decline the customers with their refund requests if they are not based on solid arguments.

~ Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise.~

pacoL

• Role: Writer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »
I find the ongoing tussle regarding Order #102810085 as highly unfortunate. As I have explained to the customer before, I faced some technical issues on that particular night. Nevertheless, I rectified the paper within the time provided and ensured that it addressed the health care systems in China and the US from the beginning to the end. After the revision, the customer has never expressed dissatisfaction with the paper’s content.
What I find very disturbing and highly mischievous is the customer’s persistent allegations that the revised paper was plagiarized. As an experienced Writer and an informed scholar, I believe the customer completely misses the point as to what plagiarism is. Here is what the customer says:
“I took classes on writing and like the first paper, when you put everything in your own words, you don't need to parenthesis and give credit to the author on that paragraph. But when you take a phrase or a quote from an article, you have to quote it and put in parenthesis the author's name.”
From the first statement, customer implies that I do not have to reference/insert in-text citations for borrowed content that is correctly paraphrased. In customer’s view, only quoted material has to be referenced. Is this REALLY true? Of course not! Paraphrasing other people’s ideas and failing to acknowledge them through the use of in-text citations is undoubtedly a form of plagiarism. As far as I know, this is standard practice across all academic circles. This explains my use of in-text citations in the paper. Please note that the topic of health care systems is not common knowledge. No writer/student can take credit in having absolute understanding of the Chinese and American health systems. That’s why I borrowed ideas from other scholars and cited them appropriately throughout the paper. If this was an opinion paper, I would have surely incorporated my own thoughts as part of the analysis. But as per the customer’s instructions, this was a RESEARCH PAPER.
This message also shocked me.
“The customer has uploaded a valid plagiarism report. Because of plagiarism, the order will be fully refunded. You will not be compensated for the work done. Let me know, if any questions arise.”
For the five years I have worked for the company, I have understood that the Support Team ALWAYS check papers for plagiarism before forwarding them to clients. Was this order an exception? If Admin found any traces of plagiarized content, I would have willingly made changes in the paper. Following the insistent plagiarism claims, I subjected the paper to the Turnitin software. Results? 0% similarity index! So, where is the alleged plagiarism report from the customer? The principles of justice demands that I should at least be provided with this plagiarism report to confirm that I indeed faulted.

While customers are king in any business, I believe it is highly unjustified to deny writers their hard-earned money on unfounded grounds. Clearly, this should not be tolerated by the company.

Lastly, I was also surprised that I received double penalties on this order. The order’s bid was $55. Since the order was put on dispute after I had already been paid, a -$55 balance was effected on my financial page. Later, I realized that another negative transaction of -$55 was introduced in my financial page. So, in total, I have a negative balance of -$110. Why is that the case? If I received no payment since the dispute was resolved in the customer’s favor, why another fine of -$55? 

Gabriel

• Dispute manager
  • Role: Staff member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
pacoL, in cases like this one please contact the Financial department. Due to a technical bug the extra $55 were indeed taken off your account. 
~ Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise.~