Author Topic: Educational test for writers  (Read 20672 times)

michael

• Administrator
  • Role: Staff member
Re: Educational test for writers
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »
After quite a few people complained about the problems with colon vs. semicolon test I have removed 4 questions form it. It now only has 2 questions to answer:( Pity but at least no rush and no panic.
Writers who have passed the test won't have to refill it.
I will also add a special category at the forum and will keep adding the rules from the tests into it. You will be able to review the rules if you haven't realized what's the deal with them during the tests.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
New test "Capitalization" has been launched.

sphinx

• Everything in time. Just be patient.
  • Role: Writer
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »
I must confess, Michael, the very first test on general grammar application was really tricky; almost every answer seemed correct to me. The tests are really good for making us go back to the core basics of the wriitng profession.

Lee

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
The Educational guide and the tests are very enriching and are highly appreciated.  I pray that the technical glitch/hitches will not happen again since it created frustrations and fears.  Keep up the good work!
Its not the system bugs m8. As i have figured the writers simply gave incorrect replies. The bitter problem is the way they have programmed the test. It is a bit raw:/
Like, if you give an incorrect reply to at least 1 question you gotta reply to all questions again and it doesn't specify where did you have that mistake. Basically its not a bug, but its just uncomfortable...
I agree. I found this one quite challenging. I usually avoid using full and semi colons but now I realize how important they are. Please post the correct answers so we can learn what we were doing wrong.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »
Lee, that is the reason for 'short guides' that are posted now every Wednesday. They contain explanation of the topics outlined in the first 25-question test; being posted one by one they will help you understand each topic.

sphinx

• Everything in time. Just be patient.
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »
I've really enjoyed that last guide on using non-personal and objective language in academic research. Quite enlightening.

ASNY90

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 02:20:58 AM »
The last test was useful, but way too easy. I was actually disappointed with the two  seconds it took me to take it.

kip09

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
The latest test was very helpful. In fact, it was the most helpful to me so far. Thank you!!!!

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
The last test was useful, but way too easy. I was actually disappointed with the two  seconds it took me to take it.
As these tests are intended for all writers we have to bare with the fact that it could have been hard for some other people. I would love to make really hard tests, such that would make the writers sit for an hour brainstorming, but not with this current way the system works. A single mistake and you are supposed to do it all over again. I hope the IT dep. will find time to revise the system. It should make the correctly answered questions disappear and only show the questions where you have given incorrect answers. Then show all correct answers after completion. At least that will make sense. Until then the tests will be easy. After all, we don't want them to restrict the writers from their work.
In the end, the key purpose of these tests is to give the understanding of some concept. As I can see judging upon the feedback, this purpose has been achieved. Some writers didn't know about this and that.. now they do. Rest is up to you. Go browse i-net for broader understanding of some rules. Boost your grammar while you have the time till the hot season.

For corporate accounts: please, educate your writers. Use the tests we have given and will be giving you to improve the skills of your staff.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:39:54 AM by michael »

Sue

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
I cant seem to get past the most recent educational test on commonly confused words. Whenever I finish the test and click submit it just takes me back to where I started originally (refreshes the page with the questions requiring to be answered again). When I repeat the same happens and I have not been able to view the order page because of this. Is there anything am missing? I need to proceed to the order page. Please help in looking into this. Thank you

ketty

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »
when that happens, it means you have not answered all questions right.

Anthony

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
It is a great thing that the Uvocorp administration is enriching our (writers) writing skills. I am very grateful. One day I will earn a lot of money and reward all of you. For now I am not sure when that is. Back to an urgent issue, I would like to learn more about constructing first paragraphs. I understand Well about thesis statements for essays; what is not clear to me is writing the first paragraphs of other types of academic papers such as research reports/proposals that have, for instance, 20 pages or more.

Some educators have taught that it is okay to highlight what the paper will talk about, and I see many professional samples using statements like "This paper will talk about blah blah"

Please assist on this area.

Regards 

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »
Some educators have taught that it is okay to highlight what the paper will talk about, and I see many professional samples using statements like "This paper will talk about blah blah"
I am not really sure if that is required in extensive assignments. Naturally, it is not a good style to write "this paper.." etc. You can fill this space with your actual thesis statement. Perhaps they might recommend such intro passages for your paper, but I recommend you to research it on-line. Try to find good sources about writing introduction and recommend them here.

At least we do not recommend using statements like "this paper", "this essay" etc.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
I cant seem to get past the most recent educational test on commonly confused words. Whenever I finish the test and click submit it just takes me back to where I started originally (refreshes the page with the questions requiring to be answered again). When I repeat the same happens and I have not been able to view the order page because of this. Is there anything am missing? I need to proceed to the order page. Please help in looking into this. Thank you
Yes, Sue,

it does like that when you have answered to at least one question incorrectly. As I can see you are fine now. Please, next time write to the email of the writers department. We will react faster to help you return to your normal work.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »

Please assist on this area.

Regards

To be sure, you may introduce your paper this way: "this paper will ..", "in this research ..." etc. But you do this in long, extensive papers. For a long paper you might want to show the reader what will the paper speak about and how it is organized.
You should avoid that in short papers.
I suggest you to read the notes in the MLA and APA sample papers at purdue owl website. They have a very clear explanation that will be useful.
Other than that, you avoid such intro in your short papers and immediately get to your thesis statement after a couple of introductory sentences. (do not forget about the "hook". Read up on it :)