Author Topic: Educational test for writers  (Read 20653 times)

sphinx

• Everything in time. Just be patient.
  • Role: Writer
Re: Educational test for writers
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
Will we be informed of the tests in advance or will it be a surprise?

michael

• Administrator
  • Role: Staff member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Will we be informed of the tests in advance or will it be a surprise?
Gonna be a surprise. We are planning to launch the 1st test .. its night right now.. so today, about at lunch time.
But don't take that as some serious task you have to go  all out to complete. Its just a short test which takes 5 minutes to complete. It won't influence the state of your account.. it won't be the threshold you must have to step over for a greater purpose. Its just a helpful test for your general education. Even if you reply incorrectly to all the questions you won't be demoted.. whatever. Take it with good humor:)
Its not for us, its for you, for your personal improvement. And do not forget to leave your feedback. We will consider your opinions when making the follow-up tests.

genus

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »
I have just completed the first test. I flanked in one question and in retrospect i found the answer obvious after the test results. I guess i was not very careful with the particular answer. I have found the test very insightful as it covers many areas that that have helped me clarify several writing aspects that  I was uncertain. I would wish to request that the tests are retained within the system, such as in news category or within their own category so that writers can keep checking them once in a while to refresh their knowledge and to learn more on the areas. For instance, although i failed in only one question, i was uncertain in one or two other questions in areas that i may wish to make further reviews. I look forward to having such a database in place. Can similar tests and guidance also be provided to writers who wish to work on proposals?

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
Thanks for feedback Genus.
Do not think we will retain the tests and guides in the news section. But the tests, at least this test, has mostly been based on the staff we have covered in the writing guide.
I think we will rather be updating the writing guide with the new features every now and then.

I'd recommend you to mention the areas where you would like to hear clarifications. We could include that in the weekly guides that we are planning to launch starting from the next week.

olive

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »
I would have loved to be part of the Educational Test Program, but sadly for me I am now an outsider looking in. I chose to be a dishonest writer when all I could do is admit that I could not find material and perhaps reassign the order. I hope it helps the remaining writers improve their writing because Uvocorp is a great company that values its writers. Before I joined Uvocorp I had tried other freelance writing  firms, so I speak from experience (and honesty) when I say that Uvocoorp trumps all the others in the business. Enjoy guys, while I venture into the unknown with regrets of someone who could have (and should have) done better. However, I still pray that Michael will review my record with the company and give me just one chance. Just one.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
I would have loved to be part of the Educational Test Program, but sadly for me I am now an outsider looking in. I chose to be a dishonest writer when all I could do is admit that I could not find material and perhaps reassign the order. I hope it helps the remaining writers improve their writing because Uvocorp is a great company that values its writers. Before I joined Uvocorp I had tried other freelance writing  firms, so I speak from experience (and honesty) when I say that Uvocoorp trumps all the others in the business. Enjoy guys, while I venture into the unknown with regrets of someone who could have (and should have) done better. However, I still pray that Michael will review my record with the company and give me just one chance. Just one.

Please, check email. I have replied.

Tony

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
I have completed the first test but I answered one question incorrectly; I later realized that the question was very simple but may be I was not careful because I had received a call from the support department that there was an urgent revision. Anyway, I am eagerly waiting for the second test :)

kip09

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »
I answered two questions wrongly in the first test but I have learned very important things in writing, especially the use of 'thus' and 'therefore'. Thank you for the test!!!!!!

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
I answered two questions wrongly in the first test but I have learned very important things in writing, especially the use of 'thus' and 'therefore'. Thank you for the test!!!!!!
Remember that it is not 100% strict. You shouldn't use colloquialisms, contractions, avoid some words, but basically, when such slip out now and then it is not a terrible mistake. You need to simply check whether the use of such terms and expressions is possible in your essay.
Do not try to avoid them at all costs. Just do not overuse.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
Another feature!

Shorter tests incoming. These will be dedicated to specific topics. Like the 1st one will only address colloquialisms.
The difference - you will have to give correct replies to reactivate your account. Good thing is that such tests are shorter, much shorter.

Tony

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 07:50:43 AM »
I have completed the two tests and they were very helpful. Please, include wordiness questions in the next test, I was demoted late last year because of that :). Well, I have done enough research on how to avoid this but I only want to test my skills. Thank you!!!!

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 07:53:48 AM »
I have completed the two tests and they were very helpful. Please, include wordiness questions in the next test, I was demoted late last year because of that :). Well, I have done enough research on how to avoid this but I only want to test my skills. Thank you!!!!
Wordiness? what exactly do you mean? is it simplicity vs. over-complication in expression?

Tony

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
Exactly, simplicity and complicated expressions. I forwarded the comments from the Quality Assurance Department together with three sample essays I had written to an English tutor and she advised me that the problem I had was wordiness in my essays. This, according to the tutor, normally results from improper use of such words as 'which', 'that', 'generally', and 'kind of' within sentences. "Too long sentences also results in wordiness" (Tutor).

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
Exactly, simplicity and complicated expressions. I forwarded the comments from the Quality Assurance Department together with three sample essays I had written to an English tutor and she advised me that the problem I had was wordiness in my essays. This, according to the tutor, normally results from improper use of such words as 'which', 'that', 'generally', and 'kind of' within sentences. "Too long sentences also results in wordiness" (Tutor).
That's true. Think we even had something about that in the writing guide or elsewhere. Will consider your proposition. I don't see how could we intertwine that into the test, but maybe will make a special thread for it at the forum or put it down into the writing guide.

markodhis

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
I think the tests are a good idea,  it has been pointed out that the tests will not be used to demote writers, but if i do not pass a test on the first trial, will this be considered when i apply for advanced status, or look for promotion to higher academic level?