Author Topic: Educational test for writers  (Read 20671 times)

michael

• Administrator
  • Role: Staff member
Educational test for writers
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »
Dear writers,

the low season is up and we all have some spare time to dedicate to learning and improving. Having evaluated multitudes of papers we have sorted out the most common mistakes that the majority of our writers tends to have. We would like to point you at these mistakes and help you better understand the principles, concept and style of writing as a profession.
Since this moment and up to the next hot season we are launching a series of tests that you will have to pass. These tests are not aimed at restricting your level. Their only purpose is to point at the most common issues you might have.
Such tests will focus on various aspects of writing ranging from grammar to style, to format. Passing these tests will be instrumental if you are planning to, for example, apply for advanced status, or look for promotion to higher academic level.

We recommend you to take this opportunity with all due respect and interest as nearly every single person that has been evaluated for the last year had at least half of mistakes and irregularities that will be covered by the incoming tests and guides.

Looking to hear your feedback and propositions concerning the topics to be covered by the tests and guides.

With respect,
Michael
writers department.

oleg

• Role: Writer
Re: Educational test for writers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
Sounds fun. What kind of stuff are you going to cover in these tests?

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
Sounds fun. What kind of stuff are you going to cover in these tests?
Everything that the majority of writers have problems with.
Like:
- usage of contractions,
- colloquialisms,
- using word "thus" which is a bad style,
- differences between colon and semi-colon (; vs: ),
- punctuation etc.

We will start with the key points we have already laid out in the Writing Guide and will keep touching upon specific topics as we progress.

Aondofa

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
That is great, english perfections will be made here.
That is a general problem. Pls consider me and reactivate my account.
I will improve after taking the test, I promise.

olive

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
It is always refreshing to learn something new.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
It is an opportunity for most of us to get back in class for a recap!

ASNY90

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »
How will we take these tests?

classact

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:39:22 AM »
Will these tests be used for demoting persons?

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
Classact, no. As Michael has written
These tests are not aimed at restricting your level. Their only purpose is to point at the most common issues you might have.

There are other actions from our side aimed for demotion and promotion, these tests are going to hold educational purpose. To estimate its effectiveness we will give you multiple choice questions test at the beginning and end, to see if there is any difference. And in the middle you will have small guides explaining each topic separately.

ASNY90, writers will see the special page on the web-site and after filling the test will be able to proceed with further work (like the News).

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
How will we take these tests?
When logging in you will see a special page which will list a series of test questions. You will have to give correct replies in order to have the test auto-approved and proceed to your orders page.
Such test won't take long to pass. During this summer there will be 2 extended tests, 25 questions each and a series of short tests, presumably once every week.
They are not hard. The only purpose is to point you at the key issues ESL writers may have etc.
I am sure you will like them. At least they might be really helpful.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
Pls consider me and reactivate my account. I will improve after taking the test, I promise.
Accounts that have been closed due to poor quality and plagiarism will not be reactivated because of the test. Sorry, but you had all the time in the world to learn English before applying for a position  of a writer with us. We cannot allow for educating writers. We can only attempt to help already existing writers to improve.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
Will these tests be used for demoting persons?
Not in any case. These tests are not for us. They are intended for writers. We will see the statistics, but only the general figures to evaluate whether such tests were helpful.
The reason we have decided to make these comes from the intention to explain the basics of writing style and grammar to majority of the ESL writers. This is purely educational.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
I have to ask you one thing. After completing your first test leave your feedback here, in this thread.
We need this information to highlight the most relevant issues in the future tests and see whether it helps you, or whether it is convenient... what needs to be fixed etc.

sphinx

• Everything in time. Just be patient.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:54:43 AM »
Just one concern: what if someone has an urgent paper to upload? How will that be factored into the program?

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »
Just one concern: what if someone has an urgent paper to upload? How will that be factored into the program?
Talked to the manager. You will have to complete the test before proceeding to your revisions and current orders.
There will only be 2 big tests planned for this low season and a couple for little guiding tests that you will see every week. It won't take much time. We will stop with the tests for the hot season so there shouldn't be any problems with accessing your revisions and urgent orders. Several minutes that you will spend on passing the test won't make a problem .