Author Topic: Plagiarism consequences  (Read 17223 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Role: Staff member
Plagiarism consequences
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »
Hello, Everyone. We have recently seen an increase in the amount of plagiarized orders. Please, be aware that as a freelance writing agency we severely oppose plagiarism and punish writers caught plagiarizing.
Paraphrasing, copy-pasting and failure to cite original sources will from now on lead to immediate discontinuation of cooperation with the delinquent writers.

charlonzy

• Role: Writer
Re: Plagiarism consequences
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
Thanks admin. I just wanted to confirm special cases where we analyze finance papers based on company reports or internet databases. In these cases, you find that the values which form the content of the paper appear in the plagiarism report as extremely plagiarized. Does this constitute plagiarism? Another case of formula for example: Return on Equity = (Net Income/Stockholders Equity)X 100! This formula remains as it is and cannot be re-phrased! But when put on turnitin, it appears plagiarized. Are these cases excepted?
I look forward for your response. Cheers!

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Thanks admin. I just wanted to confirm special cases where we analyze finance papers based on company reports or internet databases. In these cases, you find that the values which form the content of the paper appear in the plagiarism report as extremely plagiarized. Does this constitute plagiarism? Another case of formula for example: Return on Equity = (Net Income/Stockholders Equity)X 100! This formula remains as it is and cannot be re-phrased! But when put on turnitin, it appears plagiarized. Are these cases excepted?
I look forward for your response. Cheers!

I believe this is acceptable plagiarism. Of course, personal, geographical, company or product names, trade marks, figures and formulas will be marked by turnitin and alike systems. But this is not considered as plagiarism.
We are mostly concerned about non-referenced or paraphrased material.

charlonzy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
Thanks Michael for your reply. I do finance papers and that has been my observation.
Kind Regards,
Charles

mumdooha

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:51 PM »
I have a question regarding this issue. Sometimes, you guys  clear the paper and deliver it but customer send the paper back that it has a plagiarism. Then what would be the consequences for the writer at that time.

I do all business papers, sometimes there is common knowledge or like Charles mentioned formulas or some other things that we do reference it but still I get the paper from the support team that it is plagiarized and I have to call them and tell them to please read the paper and point out everything on the phone. Then they realize that,  Ok that was a mistake on their side.

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
I have a question regarding this issue. Sometimes, you guys  clear the paper and deliver it but customer send the paper back that it has a plagiarism. Then what would be the consequences for the writer at that time.
Our plag-detection systems are different from those used in colleges. Unfortunately for us and for plagiarizing writers the college systems are better. This means that if our system fails to find plagiarism the paper goes to the customer and he, in most cases, turns it in. In such case plagiarism is exposed in 99% of cases. The customers then receive F and fail the course. Depending on the importance of a paper they might as well get expelled. Depending on an institution a single course may cost up to $3.000; so you might understand the consequences of a plagiarized paper...
Common knowledge is not considered a plagiarism, but of course if it doesn't constitute the bulk of a paper.
Let's just clarify it: I sometimes see copy-pasted or paraphrased material and fake sources that the writer made up. When this is exposed, of course, such writer will get fired.
In other cases we might temporarily suspend a writer or take other less strict measures.
Do not worry about common knowledge, figures etc. If you correctly reference your sources and do the work diligently we will not touch you.  In any case, you might want to write to writers department and ask to review your case. If the measures taken were too strict or unfair we will always revise the decision, compensate fine or reactivate an unfairly fired writer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:12:54 PM by michael »

authoress

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
As a professional writer with several books in commercial channels, I abhor plagiarism. The issue I have with the company's system is that - as a large, segmented order writer, I often revise/tweak/edit/polish several times before both the customer and I are satisfied. My first file is always original writing and, since the company stores all papers as they are sent, my work gets hit with plagiarism fines/messages/delays that require I take precious time to call and correct the issue.

Is there a process whereby this can be managed better by y'all? Just seeing the 'plagiarism' notation and revision makes me "see red" ~.~

thx
laurel

PS.... as a writer with the company for more than 2 years now, seeing myself as a "newbie" is amusing

Harold.Spinner

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
Plagiarism is a tempting monster, even one fears to contribute here because i doubt if all writers are so perfect that they cannot plagiarize. Close deadlines and hunger by writers to compensate for low income during low season may be a driver for such incidences. However, I seek for lenience by management against such vice, perhaps give a writer 2 warnings, followed by a fortnight suspension, a responsible writer will have time to review his/her writing skills, and also realize that greed for higher pay has its consequences. Thank you.

maximajuma

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
Incorrect plagiarism also applies when mentioning technical terms in a paper. In such a case, one cannot go about citing the source of every word as the paper would look unattractive. :) ::)

genus

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »
From my two years experience and only with about two plagiarism issues for the entire period and one of which was part of the clients material, I have come to the conclusion that it possible to avoid plagiarism if one is keen enough to follow the basics. Of course I would also wish that admin specifically review each case of plagiarism to avoid penalizing writers unfairly. On the other hand, I support the call for all writers to ensure that we submit work that is free of  plagiarism as it benefits the total pool of writers by ensuring the company maintains a good reputation thereby securing new and elusive repeat clients.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:17:10 PM by genus »

Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:15 AM »
Is paraphrasing not a way of avoiding plagiarism? Note by admin says paraphrasing will be punished. http://www.indiana.edu/~wts/pamphlets/plagiarism.shtml

dannym

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:30 AM »
Am also bewildered by the administration's decision to include paraphrasing as a form of plagiarism. Some facts and findings cannot be altered and paraphrasing is the only way to ensure originality, though with appropriate referencing.

owenmats

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »
I also support dannym

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 12:59:31 PM »
as a writer with the company for more than 2 years now, seeing myself as a "newbie" is amusing
Having a complex of god here eh?

Newbie is a forum status that depends on the amount of posts made. It has nothing to do with you as a writer.
Seems you are taking things with much unnecessary hostility.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:52:31 AM by michael »

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
Incorrect plagiarism also applies when mentioning technical terms in a paper. In such a case, one cannot go about citing the source of every word as the paper would look unattractive. :) ::)
I already replied to "numbers" concern. We care mostly about textual passages found in other sources. Numbers will only be considered a plagiarism if a paragraph is directly or almost identically taken from other source.