Author Topic: Tips from one of our top writer  (Read 6439 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Role: Staff member
Tips from one of our top writer
« on: October 01, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
I will tell you a little known secret… when an instructor loads a paper on her screen to start grading, she notices all the little green lines, the blue lines, and the errors that Spelling and Grammar checker is noting. In addition, the instructor, from years of experience, immediately recognizes errors in format. With shoulders dropping, the instructor realizes that they must read the paper completely for numerous errors must exist - which is demonstrated by the obvious errors present already. With a sigh, the teacher starts on the complicated and time consuming project of reading carefully through each and every sentence… but worse, for the student, that instructor is now looking for errors. Not just reading the paper, but rather looking for mistakes.

What are the three biggest secrets to successful writing?

First, ALWAYS use the Spelling and Grammar checker with Style turned on - MSWord was made with it because it is very useful. If you do not use this tool, you cannot expect to become a successful writer.

Second, learn the format - inside and out - when your paper is pretty and organized you get special points for ATTENTION TO DETAIL… and strangely, this is actually very important to success as a writer.

Third, use good resources - college and library sources that demonstrate that you have taken time to read all the sources - even if you really just skimmed them and recognized the full potential. Make sure that your application is accurate.

jess

• Role: Writer
Re: Tips from one of our top writer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »
Great info. thanks

Stephen

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:41 AM »
Tnx so much, admin. Helpful. At same time, the applicable framework in that grading system is basically this: good english = good academic writing. God bless all of us!

Stephen

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
However, as you may be aware, in the academic world that is not always the case. This point is especially true for courses in the social sciences, medicine, biology, computer science, economics, political science, sociology, some subjects of education, environment, international law, and many other subjects. Good English counts and some instructors/professors do make a significant fuzz (to check spelling later) about it. However, what will basically determine a student's grade is not good English. A student's English may be PERFECT and FLAWLESS but an instructor or professor will almost always give a student a failing or zero grade if the student fails to demonstrate an adequate understanding of his or her discipline. In contrast, a paper of imperfect English or full of flaws can get from above average to high grades if the student is able to display a good understanding of his or her course through the paper.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:41:33 PM by Stephen »

Andrew

• Role: Staff member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
.... A student's English may be PERFECT and FLAWLESS but an instructor or professor will almost always give a student a failing or zero grade if the student fails to demonstrate an adequate understanding of his or her discipline. In contrast, a paper of imperfect English or full of flaws can get from above average to high grades if the student is able to display a good understanding of his or her course through the paper.
many Instructors will not even READ the paper that has grammar and spelling mistakes right from the start, especially in Universities where mostly native speakers study. Formatting is another issue that can make the instructor angry and he will fail the student. Even though language and format do seem to be secondary when writing a paper, people who check and mark them often take poor formatting and lack of proofreading as student's careless attitude towards writing... That's why you, as professionals, have to demonstrate knowledge in all of the above fields.

Joe Mwangi

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
I will tell you Stephen for a fact that at college level an instructor is very unlikely to tolerate poor grammar or formatting, reason being at this level you are expected to have already mastered prerequisite communication skills, I do not know about universities abroad but here in my home country, universities ensure that all 'freshers'  take a common unit known as Communication skills, the aim is to train the student with acceptable academic  communication skills, even though we are not native speakers of English,  but instructors around here do not take it kindly when  you present work similar to the one of high school. If I may quote one of my instructors "Your work is plain pathetic! I will not mark such work, .... you want to  reduce me to a kindergarten teacher of which I am too qualified to be!..." I might not be able to bring out the picture clearly but I hope you get the idea.

Harold.Spinner

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »
I have been disturbed before, whether what we write is submitted electronically to tutors/supervisors/lecturers or in a print. If the former is favored, then Grammar and typos makes us writers at higher risk. take words like "form and from" or "definite and define" when one is concentrating to build coherent ideas in a paper, occurrence of such typos is inevitable yet the  grammar and style doesn't  highlight this. I think assuming activated Grammar and style checker is 100% effective is not so, one is encouraged to manually proof read through the paper before submission. thanks