Author Topic: PRIMARY RESEARCH  (Read 5277 times)

Andrew

• Role: Staff member
PRIMARY RESEARCH
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »
I would like to discuss with you the way we decided to handle Primary Research a few month ago. Please let me know if you have any comments and concerns about the following message:

"Here are a few things you need to know if one of your customers requests you to conduct primary research(for ex. conducting surveys, questionnaires, interviews):

1) Your regular prices per page do not include conducting any PRIMARY research.

2) We understand that conducting primary research is very time and resource consuming and we will always understand if you can not do it due to geographical or any other reasons. We notify the customers about that and they must also realize that they are paying for writing and secondary research rather than original data collection.

3) If you see that in one of the orders' instructions the customer requests primary data collection you have to notify the admin about research involved. The possible solutions are:

a) We make the customer conduct the required research and provide you with data. You, as a writer, will do the writing and analysis of results.

b) If the customer insists that we conduct the research and you ACTUALLY have the ability to do it you must clarify your additional bid for it and make sure the customer pays before you start.

c) If the customer insists that we conduct the research and there is no way for you to do it we must inform the customer and offer him faking the research. If both parties agree and you are sure you can make up results that will be close to true you can proceed with the order. BE SURE THAT THE CUSTOMER IS AWARE OF FAKE DATA AND GIVES HIS APPROVAL.

d) If the customer insists that we conduct the research and there is no way for you to do it, or fake it, you must retract from the order. We will either find another writer or refund customer's money.

Please note that all the customers must be aware of the fact that the prices they pay per page do not include primary data collection. Therefore, if you see an order that requires it you should notify the admin about this issue.

Our best solution to the problem is to assist the customer to conduct the research on his own(by making questionnaires, analyzing data etc.) rather than fake the paper or simply issue a refund."

I want to hear your HONEST opinions on this issue and will appreciate any feedback.

Harold.Spinner

• Role: Writer
Re: PRIMARY RESEARCH
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
Research work writing may fail if Objectives, research questions, and questionnaire items don't have coherent focus. Mode of administering questionnaire may affect data analysis. Yes it is not possible for writers to conduct primary research. However customer and writer must be fair to each other by agreeing that none of them fakes gathered data. If a writer formulates questionnaire, but customer fails to carry out primary research based on data collection tools. it would be near impossible that the whole research would meet intended results. The customer should thus not fake data, highlight challenges and carry out preliminary data sorting. I once had big problem when a customer uploaded 45 completed questionnaires,  each having 25 answered items, sampling and converting such information into analytical format is hell of a mountain. Even after preparing tables and feeding raw data into spreadsheets, Such work is not countable on my side because only completed work is counted in number of pages???. 

Andrew

• Role: Staff member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:20:53 AM »
However customer and writer must be fair to each other by agreeing that none of them fakes gathered data. If a writer formulates questionnaire, but customer fails to carry out primary research based on data collection tools. it would be near impossible that the whole research would meet intended results. The customer should thus not fake data, highlight challenges and carry out preliminary data sorting. I once had big problem when a customer uploaded 45 completed questionnaires,  each having 25 answered items, sampling and converting such information into analytical format is hell of a mountain. Even after preparing tables and feeding raw data into spreadsheets, Such work is not countable on my side because only completed work is counted in number of pages???. 

Very true, Wicky, thank you for your for bringing this up. It is very important that writer and customer maintain good communication at this point of writing. Both have to remember the fact that the Thesis will have to be defended in front of a committee.  We strongly encourage this kind of customers to stay involved in the progress of writing so they understand what is going on.
As for the data analysis, I agree that sampling and converting questionnaires into analytical form is a lot of work and it should be compensated additionally.
However, from my experience it is a very rare case when customer sends in the 45 questionnaires you mentioned so I do not think we need to set specific rates for such services at this point. If any of you will experience a request like this from customer - talk with Alex about it and we will surely negotiate some kind of extra compensation.

Harold.Spinner

• Role: Writer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »
Dear Andrew,
I will find time and review my past work and identify the order number. if you don't delete history of completed orders then you will agree with me that customer uploaded unsampled data. I still feel the pain of reading through 45 questionnaires each having 3 pages and 25 questionnaire items answered by survey corespondents, some scribbling unreadable comments, analyzing both data collected in 2009 and comparing to that of 2004 the order was about "Graduating seniors on long Island"  If any writer worked on its revision please raise your comments. This is one order that almost made me quit writing.